Tuesday, June 29, 2010

This little piggy needed some love

toes

On Friday I decided to get a pedicure. I very rarely do this. But there is no pumice stone rough enough to get the half inch dermal layer off my heels. My husband had given me a gift certificate to a place downtown for my birthday (nine months ago) and I figured I'd better use it before my next birthday. I mean what the hell was I waiting for anyway? The messiah? My appearance on Oprah? It's just a damned pedicure. But now that I work for myself I start to have anxiety about using any of my time for anything besides my work. Not that I don't waste plenty of it sitting in front of this very computer but at least it looks like I'm working. Nothing about sitting in a massage chair reading People magazine having someone dunk your feet in paraffin wax looks like work.

So Friday was the day. I wanted something with a little punch so I picked out The Tasmanian Devil Made Me Do It red. The last time I had my toes painted was on a trip to the US when I'd been living in Israel (twelve years ago). I went with an old friend to get our nails done and I picked out bubble gum pink. The next day I flew back to Israel and then quickly drove with my boyfriend to the Egyptian border because I had an assignment to edit and rewrite the Sinai chapters of the Fodors Israel and Egypt guidebooks. If I was going to be traipsing around the Ritz Carlton at Sharm El Sheikh, I wanted some pretty toenails. You know, in case Bill Clinton showed up.

Three days into the trip I had a raging fight with my boyfriend and it turns out that he was now second guessing our relationship because I had paid $9 to have a Vietnamese woman in California paint my toenails on a whim. For him, those pink toes called into question all of my values and stood for everything he despised about the world - wealth, bourgeois society, appearances, western entitlement. Seriously. And this is not a cultural thing. Plenty of Israeli women paint their toes. It was his own thing. Eventually I helped him to understand he was acting like a jackass and twelve years later we are married and have two kids and own a house mortgage in Silicon Valley. But my nails have remained nude ever since.

So after twelve years The Tasmanian Devil Made Me Do It and these piggies got the royal treatment. And my husband didn't give a rat's ass and we enjoyed a lovely weekend in Lake Tahoe where my red toes looked especially AWESOME against the alpine blue lake.

9 comments:

DanaBanana said...

Gadol! great story and great picture
:)

aimee said...

them's some pretty little piggies! i would go more often for a pedicure, but the bottom of my feet are really ticklish and i giggle the entire time. then i smudge the polish on the way out.

Handmade in Israel said...

Can't believe you just wrote this post!!! I just had my first pedicure EVER as a present for my, ahem, 40th birthday from a friend. I also felt terribly guilty about leaving my desk but it was such fun and felt so luxurious! Unfortunately my husband and two boys think my purple toenails look disgusting and keep asking me when I am going to take it off!!!

AG Ambroult said...

A ha ha ha! the boyfriend is now your hubby.....that's rich.

This story is awesome and funny, and so clearly reflects all those idealistic things we assumed way back when...

I have total anxiety about using my time for anything but work too. But sometimes I manage to break away for something as concerned with appearances and entitlement as a shower.

Shona Cole said...

lol, funny story. I am so glad I found someone else who has rarely gets a pedicure. i recently got my 2nd ever and it was actually really worth it. red is a good choice!

Valentina Harper said...

*GREAT* story!
Thanks for remind me to use the gift certificate my husband got me on my b-day 7 month ago ;)

mary lou and stuart said...

really really funny--just got back from Yosemite area yesterday and went for a pedicure about four hours ago---the callouses were HUGE. Laughed all the way through your blog. Love you Mary Lou and a ps-my granddaughter is expecting my first granddaughter (child) and I can't wait for her to be born with a date and name so I can order one of your pictures for her.

mary lou and stuart said...

a ps--of course i meant to say she is expecting my first GREAT granddaughter--but that concept is something really hard to put in print.

Robin said...

Great story! Thanks for friending me on facebook...I am a lame facebooker...but I adore blogs and am bookmarking yours now :)