Friday, March 26, 2010

Under Contract

Ketubah3

I'm out of hiding for a just a moment to show you what I've been working on the last few days. A while back someone contacted me about purchasing one of my ketubah prints. And while she liked elements of all of them, she wished she could patch together something that incorporated elements of this piece and this piece and this piece and this piece and this piece.  Well this was a project I couldn't resist even though commissions scare the crap out of me. I decided to give it a whirl.

Ketubah Sketch

So here's the final sketch she went with, but asked that the tiny village in the corner look less like a tiny tenement. No problem.

Ketubah1

The first round is always very flat. Straight color. But then, and this is my big watercolor secret so don't tell anyone, I go over every thing in orange (did you know that orange and aqua make the loveliest shade of green?). And then all the under colors start to glow and turn other colors or deeper shades of themselves. That's my favorite part.

Ketubah2

And now I have to go in a add some lime in a few places that are too red. That will bring it down a notch. We don't want it too peppy. It's a marriage contract after all. Serious stuff. Plus the text which will take some maneuvering. Anyone who's worked with Hebrew text in illustrator knows that it can be a little sensitive (type shows up backwards, upside down or both). Takes patience and understanding - ingredients for a good marriage I'd say.

6 comments:

Liv @ Choosing Beauty said...

I am in awe. The process is so much more in-depth than I even imagined. To see it come to life feels like such an honor. Thanks for sharing!

Everything's Rosie said...

Wow! that is amazing. I've seen you do this several times and keep forgetting how it develops from the original sketch. And each ketubah is delicious and I want one of each one and no, I'm not getting married!
Absolutely beautiful. The bride and groom will be so in love with the final product as well as each other, of course.

Bella Sinclair said...

Whoa!!!! Wowwwww!!! This is looking incredible. The colors just burst. And there's that magic color again...orange! I never would have guessed it. Okay, okay, sshhhh, my lips are sealed.

AG Ambroult said...

thanks for the sneak peek, and the behind the scenes tour. really? you go over everything with orange? that is a hug secret to share. Do you feel all exposed now? I imagine you have a few other tricks up your sleeve too. Whatever you do with your watercolors, it's workin'!

jane said...

it´s beautiful!

DR said...

gorgeous!