Monday, October 12, 2009

From the Mishmish archive

This one is an oldie but a goodie. It's a piece I painted in 1998. I was living in Tel Aviv at the time. I think I was also unemployed. And my boyfriend lived in another city. And my bike had just been stolen. I shared an apartment with two Israeli women who were frantically studying for the Israeli Bar exam so always had classmates over and were always shouting. It was hot as hell and sticky like a wet cat. We had an air conditioning unit that was in the living room but we never used it because we were cheap. And the cool air didn't really reach into the bedrooms anyway. Plus my room was more like a converted balcony so it had horrible insulation and we referred to it as the swamp. I used to put my whole sheet in the shower before bed and then bring it dripping into the bedroom to put over me so that I could cool down. It would be dry by morning. And petrified in the shape of two boobs and two feet. Good times. I didn't have a computer back then so I passed the time watching CNN, walking to the beach, painting and wishing I had friends. With all of that in mind it's kind of curious that this piece is so cheery. Maybe it will bring you some cheer too. Look for it soon on ETSY.

6 comments:

jacqueline said...

Susie, this piece is gorgeous! I love the colors. Thanks for sharing the story behind it. Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

Prairie Girl Studio said...

good morning susie ~
most delighted to find you 'in the fish bowl' as i LOVE your art work ... your style is so fresh, cheerful and bright! and it sounds like your life has been so rich and colourful in so many ways ... and truly reflects in what you do ... bravo!
i look forward to following and being inspired by you!
take good care,
prairiegirl

Renee said...

I like it, laughing at the thought of going to bed with a wet sheet. That could be my husband talking about me. har har

Love Renee xoxo

Everything's Rosie said...

Ah, those WERE the days: Mook met me for the 1st time at Ben Gurion airport, we celebrated the 50th anniversary of the state of Israel that night with fireworks eating Schwarmi straight from the vendors on the streets, I met Mookie's wonderful parents and got dehydrated in Sde Boker while walking and climbing (cause I didn't want too have to pee 'au natural' amongst the people and the rocks.) Wonderful days, beautiful Jerusalem of Gold.

aimee said...

*BIG SMILE*

i love this piece and the story behind it!

Lori said...

Susie- That is a fantastic print and the story behind it makes it even better. You lived in Tel Aviv? Cool.