Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Stuff

Big Sur

Has it really been more than a week since my last post? Jeez. I don't even have much of an excuse. Except that I have been completely obsessed with the LOST finale and spent much of my time looking at videos and listening to podcasts and figuring out how I was going to watch it since I inadvertently signed my husband up for a parenting lecture on the same night. What on earth was I thinking? More on this parenting lecture later. We may be on to something.

And in fact my mom was visiting to help me watch the kids while they had a few days off from school for Shavuot, the holiday where we celebrate Moses getting the ten commandments by eating blintzes and cheesecake which doesn't make a ton of sense but I think over the generations no one has questioned this odd custom since it's so delicious. Incidentally my son told me the other day that his sister took one of his toys and with tears in his eyes, perhaps fearing the fate of her soul, explained how that's breaking one of god's commandments. Oy.

PLUS we were camping this weekend and happily out of range. It was our (now) annual trip to Big Sur with a few families from our old preschool. Two of the other families also watch LOST so last year on the trip we spent a lot of time theorizing about Jacob and the Man in Black. This trip was all about wondering how it will end.

Here's how it ended for me. Sobbing in front of my monitor the day after it aired since our digital antenna couldn't get ABC to work. And thinking about how we struggle as adults to work out all our stuff. And knowing that I'm simultaneously helping to create the stuff my kids will have to work out. Stuff can feel weighty.

6 comments:

Judy B said...

Hey Susie!
We were camping in Big Sur this past weekend as well! We had a river site and were with tons of other kids as well. Sorry we didn't run into each other!
Judy

aimee said...

wait a second!? so you didn't get to see it? you forfeited the finale for a parenting lecture?

Susie Lubell said...

yes and no. I saw it the next day on hulu.com and I thought it was awesome.

AG Ambroult said...

oh my goodness that is so traumatizing that you didn't get to see it that night. I would have stormed a neighbor's house. I was happy with the ending, too. And sobbing. What to do tonight?

Linda said...

I've got to hear about the parenting lecture! I'm reading a book called "Parenting Without Power Struggles, Raising Joyful, Resilient Kids While Staying Cool, Calm and Connected." Very good. And another friend told me about a book called 'Blessings of a Skinned Knee" by a Jewish author that has been out for a while--she recommends it highly. But don't forget Positive Discipine! ;-)
Linda

Susie Lubell said...

Judy! We were about 25 miles south of Big Sur at Kirk Creek. It was gorgeous! But windy - holy moly. shoot - we could have met at sand dollar beach.

Amy - I contemplated leaving my kids with the walkie talkie and running to a neighbor...

Linda - it IS positive discipline/ Adler approach. And it is totally working. The few tips we're using. I even coached a friend of mine who's five year old was on the cusp of total meltdown in real time and we diffused him. It was amazing.