Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Rite of Passage

Hallmark

Well it has been a crazy stretch these last few days. I decided at the last minute to do another little show at our JCC -  a fundraiser for the preschool -  and it went very well which is exciting but I forgot about how exhausting it is to sit at your booth in the sun and be charming for four hours and also lug your stuff all around two days in a row. And you think huh, this is pretty good money for working 8 hours and then you figure in all the time and energy you spent getting ready and set up and schlepping and recovering and filling orders and you realize, huh, I'm thirty-six years old and I work for minimum wage. But I'm happy doing it. And I'm learning too. I actually met a wonderful watercolor artist who shared some tips for shows and for framing.  So I will pick her brain more.

And on top of that we did some home improvements so my studio has been in several states of disarray since the weekend. But I am already so much happier with how it looks and soon to be happier with the way I can arrange little stations for what I do - create, communicate, print, ship etc. My own little supply chain. More on this later.

But I'm most excited to share this little piece of mail that I got today from a little company called Hallmark, who sent me an email back in October wanting to license my Tree of Life image for one of their cards (!). And here it is. A bar mitzvah card of all things which is so serendipitous since I just wrote a silly blog about bar mitzvah invitations here. Isn't the world funny like that? It's only one little card so I'm not exactly writing any press releases. But licensing has always been part of my general plan to take over the world so I'm celebrating my own mini rite of passage over here bat mitzvah style, minus the braces and Laura Ashley dress. Oy.

13 comments:

Tina Burke said...

Congratulations!! Wow - I'd say that definitely deserves celebrating!!! You've accomplished the dream of many artists . . . *many pats on the back for you*

aimee said...

AWESOME! it looks fantastic! doing a happy happy jig for you!!!

painted fish studio said...

wow, susie, the card deal is so fricking great! i'm so excited! woot! i'm going to look for it every time i go to target. which is a lot. and if i find it, i will announce very loudly (to no one in particular): "i sorta know the artist that created this tree of life!"

pixie said...

susie!! not only is it great news that your art is on a bar mitzvah card, but the artwork is really stunning! this calls for a very jiggy happy dance! wooo!!!

Everything's Rosie said...

Susie, the card looks soooooo awesome. Congrats!

Desert Savta said...

Susie, I second all the comments above and those undoubtedly to come. The card is beautiful. We are all so proud of you and your work and how you put it all together to achieve your dream.

Dana said...

WOW, that's awesome! Congratulations!

Bella Sinclair said...

OOOOOH OOOOOOH OOOOOOOH! Today, Hallmark. Tomorrow, the WORLD! Congratulations!

rrARTz said...

congratulations! your work is beautiful!

Ida in QC said...

Wow, congratulations! That is GREAT news!! And also very good that Hallmark becomes a bit more diversified. :)

DanaBanana said...

wawoo, thay is so great. congrads...
I just dreamt about you tonight :)

no way said...

Oh wow! Huge congratulations! It looks absolutely beautiful. I am going to keep my eyes open for it when I'm at the store.

Shelley Malone said...

"Same thing we do every night, Pinky. TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD."

One card at a time.... one card at a time.

Congratulations!! This is super crazy exciting!