Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sign of the times

Mountain Lion Warning

A few weeks ago we got an email from the principal of our son's elementary school to let the parents know that the kids would be having a lock down drill the next day.

Lock down. Really?

And I thought, man we live in a crappy time. You know? Our kids have to have drills in case there's a SHOOTER on a suburban elementary school campus? I was whining about this with my grandmother the other day. She had asked if we were still thinking about moving back to Israel. She's not super fond of the idea. She thinks it's too dangerous. So I mentioned the lock down in Mountain View. And how the world sucks everywhere nowadays. And how much simpler life must have been when she was young. And she said, yes. True. Well, except for the war. And the holocaust.

Sometimes it's hard to have faith in humanity. That's when I have to open my heart wide and follow the sage words offered by the mountain lion warning sign at the Fremont Older Open Space Reserve in Saratoga.
  1. Face (metaphoric) lion.
  2. Back away slowly (or)
  3. Be large.
  4. Shout.
  5. Keep children close. 
  6. Pick up children without bending (at the waist - your back will thank you).

4 comments:

aimee said...

our kids have lockdown drills for good reason b/c they had a real lockdown last year. credit union across the street - robbed! and the louse was on the loose! how's that for life in middle america?

Faith said...

Perfect metaphor for so many things really. xo

rachel awes said...

i love
the wisdom
you've distilled.
xox

AG Ambroult said...

mmmm. yes we have lock down drills as well, and they totally freak me out. I will follow those sage words of advice too. except the back one, which I already blew.