Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Six

Six

Hi kiddo,

I haven't written in a while. I used to write you letters on your birthday but after we had your sister that kind of yearly obligation was more than I could handle. But you and your antics did inspire me to start this blog so that kind of counts for something. I can't hardly believe that you're already six. SIX! That's like 42 in dog years. You're almost as old as Uncle Aaron! We don't always see eye to eye on things, like how often you should wear your green J Camp tee shirt or whether marshmallows make for a nutritious breakfast, but we sure do have a connection, you and me. For better or worse, we are locked in tight. Here are the things I love about you lately.
  1. The way you crack an egg.
  2. Your singing voice.
  3. Your loyalty to your (stuffed) kitty.
  4. Your enthusiasm for electricity and science.
  5. The way you draw fingers.
  6. Your love of shoes (this kind of bugs me but I can totally relate).
  7. Your heart.
  8. Your goodnight secrets.
  9. The way you look just like your Grandpa.
  10. Your imagination.
  11. The way you still crawl into our bed in the morning.
  12. Your willingness to try new foods (that's new!)
  13. Your compassion.
  14. The way you memorized every word to the Oompa Loompa songs.
  15. Your spirituality. 
  16. That your favorite birthday present was the label maker.
  17. The way you are unapologetically your awesome neurotic self. 
I love you.
Mommy

14 comments:

aimee said...

happy birthday!! i must know, how do you crack an egg?

tulpen said...

So Sweet. And six is a really fun age.

Faith said...

So sweet. My boy is turning 6 next week too, and your list here made me tear up. I love the idea of writing them a letter on their birthdays, so beautiful. xo

Susie Lubell said...

He cracks eggs PERFECTLY. Never a stray shell. I might teach him the one-handed.

RookieMom Whitney said...

Awww. I can't believe 6 years of this journey has gone by! I hope in the future they remember how much they adored us right now. (I have a very self-centered approach to parenting.)

aimee said...

we made cupcakes last night and i ate three in honor of the birthday boy today. only prob is that in each one there was an audible crunch - my girl is the egg cracker in the household. they may own the same boots, but they are light years apart in their egg cracking abilities.

Anonymous said...

Susie....great idea the letter writing for each birthday. Great way to make the memories very personal...especially for later on. My son turns 4 in November so I think I will give it a go! -Mona

rachel awes said...

happy birthday!
& love the list/
especially the
night-time secrets...
xox!

Shannon said...

so, so, so very special. happy celebration to YOU, mama, and your sweet boy.

Dori Patrick said...

Awwww....love this post. What a great list....especially the last item...just being himself. That's all we can hope for, really. :-)

Lori said...

Happy birthday! This post made me want a sweet 6 year old. I love it.

Smithy said...

I love your blog...just found it through Rachel Awe's web blog. YOu are SUCH a great toddler :) xx from Australia

Valentina Harper said...

Happy belated birthday! This post is sooo lovely :)

AG Ambroult said...

happy birthday to your boy! I love your birthday posts, and they inspired me to write one for my daughter last spring.
I get goodnight secrets, too! They are the best.