Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Having my cake and sharing it too


I woke up this morning to a beautiful and tasty breakfast of fried eggs on toast, chopped salad and chocolate. Because today is no ordinary day friends. Today is MY BIRTHDAY. And, since I lowered my expectations for my birthday by several orders of magnitude based on last year's fiasco, SO FAR SO GOOD. 

And coincidentally this year my birthday is also the birthday of the WORLD. It's Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, starting this evening. Some of you may know that I have a thing about sharing my birthday. I don't like to share. Thank god I'm not a twin. But then I had to go and marry someone whose birthday is five days after mine and he has a brother with a birthday a week after that and now suddenly all of my birthdays are shared occasions. Which I hate have come to accept. But this year is especially communal because this year I have to share my birthday with the WORLD. And that's also why I shared my birthday with son's kindergarten class. 

I went in after recess to do a little Rosh Hashanah presentation for the kids and it was a AWESOME. I am now Miss Susie, loved and revered by 26 five-year-olds. Most importantly, I even managed to blow the ceremonial shofar which is like blowing a trumpet except it's the horn of a ram. Seriously. And we all had apples dipped in honey to signify a sweet new year but only after I made the kids sing happy birthday to me. And then I asked if any one had any questions and several kids raised their hands to tell me when their birthdays would be and one kid told me his grandma was 87. Love kindergartners.

On tap for the rest of this wonderful day:
1. Make dinner for mine and my brother's family.
2. Drink latte.
3. Revel in my facebook birthday wishes. 
4. Go to post office.
5. Buy heavy cream so my husband can make me a cake tonight.

ALSO, in the spirit of sharing my birthday, I'm offering BUY ONE GET ONE FREE (of equal or lesser value) through the end of the day tomorrow midnight (pacific time) on all items in my ETSY shop (except ketubahs - why would you need more than one ketubah?) Write BIRTHDAY in the message to seller and I'll reimburse you via paypal for the second item.

Happy Day everyone!


12 comments:

aimee said...

happy birthday and shana tova!! :)

Jenny Wynter said...

Happy Birthday!!! Have only just stumbled across your blog - I admire your integrity too (re: the decision on the giveaway). Anyway, love your stuff, I too wrangle with my inner toddler daily! Have a beautiful birthday. x

painted fish studio said...

happy birthday, susie!!! i hope it was a fabulous day!

rachel awes said...

happy birthday!
love the rainbow candle
& chocolate bits
& every bit
on that plate
& heart!
xox

aimee said...

i'd like to order ten ketubot, please! ;)

Naomi Broudo said...

Happy birthday Susie! I love the fact that you are sharing your birthday with the world. What a beautiful concept! To a year of great things for us all. Happy birthday and shana tova!

Lori said...

You made me laugh out loud again as per my usual when I read your blog! I love your on tap list for the rest of the day. I totally reveled in the facebook wishes on my b-day. How was the cake from your husband??

Ben S. said...

this was an awesome post just as re-reading last birthday's post was awesome - it feels good to know that i'm not the only one who is annoyed with the lack of birthday celebrations every year. haha. you are the best. a very happy birthday to you.

AG Ambroult said...

Happy birthday, Susie! Hope you had a great one. Facebook well wishes are so fun, aren't they?

I'm glad the kindergarteners were compliant enough to sing when you told them too. Hooray for miss Susie!

Susan Callery said...

Happy Birthday for yesterday Susie. One of your friends told me about your blog. I love it! If you check out my blog and look under followers, you will find out who our mutual friend is.
Mine is called Laugh in the Face of PMS.
http://laughinthefaceofpms.blogspot.com/
Feel free to leave a comment on my blog with the URL of yours. Oh and please become a follower and I will follow yours too.

Thanks

Sue

no way said...

Happy birthday, and hope all is well with your new kindergartner! The last few weeks of summer totally wiped me out, and I haven't checked over here in AGES, but today I finally had a second-hooray! I've missed your writing!

Hope you had a great day!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday... I know it's past but my daughter feels it should last the whole month...
It was my husbands birthday on the 9th. and we had a cake at Roshashana dinner