Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Corner View - Wisdom from an elder

Box1


Box2

My dad used to always say, there are two rules to live by:

1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
2. It's mostly all small stuff.

I know he didn't make that up. But it's still true. I find that the older I get, the better I am about this. Yesterday, when my kids were engaged in a painting project, to transform the huge cardboard box that our stove came in into a kids only playhouse (this is doubling as my entry for last week's theme: re-purposed), my son decided that my house needed a new coat too. It was just a porch beam. It was tempura paint. I chose not to care. Though I did explain that my house was already painted the color I wanted and he best stick to his own abode, lest he start on the interior walls tomorrow.

Head over to Spain Daily for more words of wisdom.

One announcement: The lovely Liv Lane of Choosing Beauty is hosting her weekly Wednesday give-away and this week it's one of my pieces - Woman of Valor. Please stop by her inspiring website and leave a comment about the bravest thing you've ever done and she'll draw a winner at random on Friday. This is my first time doing anything like this so go over and leave a whole bunch of comments...xo

7 comments:

jane said...

yes- wise words. i have to laugh because my kids were always "redecorating"... hugs!

Bella Sinclair said...

It's nice to see the big picture every now and then.

Every now and then, my pre-teen will work herself into a frenzy over something, and it's kind of surreal being on the other side of it and realizing that it IS all mostly small stuff. Ahhh. I feel wiser. And older.

Bella Sinclair said...

OMG! How could I have forgotten! I had a crush on Gopher, too! BAHAHAHAHA

rachel awes said...

i definitely left a comment on liv's blog/looove that piece by you!! and, i'm so sorry to hear about your BEAUTIFUL friend, jenna. lol from st. paul.

Lori said...

LOVE your new banner!

Desert Savta said...

Wise words from your dad. Some of us only figure that one out as grandparents. Great that you are internalizing that rule at an earlier stage.
Love your new banner, too.

Theresa said...

Great advice.