Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Corner View - Street Photography

Arab Market

We're in the midst of preparations to leave for Israel on Monday so instead of a Corner View of where we're at, here's a Corner View of where we're going. This is a typical street scene from the Arab Market in Jerusalem's Old City where my husband and I always go to have fresh squeezed orange or carrot juice, a delicious meal of pita, ful, hummus and salad chopped up as tiny as possible and plenty of local olive oil. It's right next to the Armenian guy who sells old photos of Jerusalem so we always stop by to admire. Sometimes have tea. Although he'll talk your ear off. Don't say I didn't warn you.

And then we get kenafe (cheese, pistachio and honey) for dessert at Jabar's which is a little closer to Damascus Gate and in the quarter where we're not super welcome, politically anyway. It's been two years since our last visit. I'm hoping to gather inspiration for some new work. In fact, a friend there just told me she's taking me to a restaurant in the Jaffa flea market where everything's for sale. Even the table you're eating off of! They just add it to the bill. Genius! I feel inspired already.

So I may not post for a while. We'll see how it goes. Or maybe I'll post a bunch at 4am as we muddle through a 10 hour time difference with our kids. Oy.

Now head over to Spain for more street photography.

12 comments:

Aliza said...

Yay! And to think I just wrote you off the top of my head for no particular reason.

Great tips. Just FYI - great new little hummous place on campus - AND Aroma! Will we see you? How long are you coming? Safe travels! :-)

painted fish studio said...

i'm hungry for dinner #2 now! have a wonderful trip, and eat, eat, eat.

Theresa said...

Vey! You made me laugh girl. Have a great trip. Nice photo.

la ninja said...

freshly-squeezed juice on the street. aaaaah.

love the new banner, btw.

Cate said...

bon voyage! cannot wait to hear all the details and how you get the table back home with you!.

um, could we please join you for dessert?

rachel awes said...

israel?! what a dreeeeeam!! may your inner toddler spirit soar & somersault in joyjoyjoy. lol.

Liv @ Choosing Beauty said...

Have a wonderful trip! Can't wait to see how this journey inspires you further!

aimee said...

bring me back some hummus won't you? good luck on the trip with the kids, and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! LOVE the new blog layout!

Valentina Harper said...

Hope you have a super great trip! I can’t wait for the stories ;)

AG Ambroult said...

my mouth is watering. Have an excellent trip. Come back and post some recipes.

Kari said...

happy trip.
I love the black and white photo.

jane said...

fist this photo is fantastic! second- have a fabulous time! i´m off to catch up! hugs! and shalom!