Sunday, December 27, 2009

The prodigal daughter returns

We're back home now and off again tomorrow to spend a snowy week in Santa Fe. Thought I'd share some of our visit to southern California.



Smog makes for killer sunsets. Though the smog was not as bad as I remembered it growing up.



I brought a car load of toys which we piled in the corner but my kids found these plastic bags in the garage and decided they were more fun. They are actually zipped inside. With a peephole for air. I call these immigrant bags since they're the kind you see in the international baggage claim. I bought them for a buck each in Israel and gave my mom a few. Good for storage. Or time outs. Scratch that. Way too much fun for a time out.



I bought my daughter these rad Vans shoes with neon colored skater monsters on them.  When I was ten my friend Andrea and I used to paint our Vans in all kinds of crazy colors and we told my mom that Vans wanted us to start selling them in the store. Well Andrea thought that would be funny and I knew my mom would believe us and that it would end badly, which it did. I saw Andrea on this trip and told her that I'd designed these for Vans. She almost bought it.



Required trip to a cafe with Grandma.



Classic southern California. My husband and I did see a movie while in town (he flew down for the last day of the trip). We saw Up in the Air. I liked it. Could have waited for video though. High fives to Jason Reitman though for making some pretty good movies, almost rivaling his dad's Ghostbusters.



We spent a lot of time at the art gallery where my mom works because my son thinks he works there too. Thankfully there's also a carousel nearby.



I call this one Two Cherubs.



One amazing discovery on this trip was the Bowers Museum Kidseum. When I was about five or six years old my mom sent me to day camp at Bowers Museum with Jason Stern and I hated it. We both did. We both still talk about it. I'm sure it was awesome in theory. I remember we learned about bees. But I just wanted to get home every day. Sound like someone else we know and love from this blog? About ten years ago they opened a kids museum that's only cultural dress and play from around the world. Imagine giant bins of international dress up clothes and masks the size of your preschooler. It was outstanding and we were the only ones there (on Christmas eve day) and the kids had a ball.



  



More when we return from New Mexico. Happy 2010!

4 comments:

Renee said...

And could you tell Grandma she is gorgeous.
xoxoxo

aimee said...

i agree, those smoggy sunsets are spectacular. i used to drive to the top of south mountain in phoenix and watch in amazement as the sun sank and shone through the ozone haze. but they aren't as pretty as your mom. she is such a beauty!

someone here gave me a raging sore throat, so i'm off to bed. say hello to new mexico!

Susie Lubell said...

Grandma hardly lets me take pictures of her! But you should see the one of her dressed as a Vietnamese rice farmer.

6512 and growing said...

found your blog through artsyville. We're visiting grandparents in Cali too. The grandparent - grandchild relationship is worth many plane rides.