Thursday, December 17, 2009

Mental Accounting

Well I went to the doctor today because I'm sick. Again. I hacked up a green glob this morning that could have been a spoonful of wasabi. It was that green. And that solid. And I've been trying to stay well because we have some trips coming up. I've been squirting salt water up my nose and out my mouth which, if you've never done this, is really awful but does open up the nasal passages. Unless you have total nasal blockage and then water just sprays everywhere including out your ears because it has no where else to go. So I went to see my doctor. And she said just what I wanted her to say. You have a sinus infection. Go get this prescription filled. Because usually I'd just wait it out. Steam my head a few times a day. Spray some grapefruit seed extract up the old schnoz. But I am driving to my mom's (7 hours) with my kids on Monday and then we're all flying to Santa Fe a week later, so I can't risk it.

And thank god she gave me that prescription and made no mention of the five pounds I'd gained. Um, is your scale off? Yes, five pounds. I suddenly had visions of myself on whoever is replacing Oprah talking about how I didn't even notice that I was suddenly four hundred pounds because it just came on five pounds at a time.

After, I went home to get some work done, all the while thinking, where the hell did those five pounds come from? Maybe it's the bowl of cereal I eat every night at 10:00? Maybe I should exercise more than once a month? Those thoughts somehow stimulated my bowel. And I started thinking, that's a good two pounder right there. So really I only gained three pounds. And then I started thinking about how much my huge hooded sweater and bootcut jeans weigh - maybe a pound or more. The hood and extra fabric for the bootcut make the outfit very weighty, you know. And then I hacked up some more wasabi. Quarter pound at least. So then I didn't feel so bad. I had only gained like one pound, when you round down. Which I do. And since it's Hanukkah and I've been eating only fried food for the last six days, I feel like that's actually pretty good.

Then after I picked up my kids we went to Walmart to fill my prescription and I felt even better since most people there are twice my size. Which is why I had no qualms inhaling this giant potato, onion and green bean omelet for lunch (otherwise known as "leftovers omelet"). I mean the bottle says must take with food. I'm just following directions. It also says, follow with Nutella chaser. Swear to god.



What kind of mental accounting are you doing this holiday season?

12 comments:

painted fish studio said...

hmmmm...well... it's thursday night and i'm on glass of wine #5, and i'm pretty sure it's the only way i will be able to get through the evening with my pms and xmas anxieties...

Susie Lubell said...

cheers Jen.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Did you learn that kind of reasoning from me? Because it sounds all too familiar. Like I know this logic...you're me. Yikes!


everything's rosie

Renee said...

You are so fun.

Happy Hannukah.

xoxox

la ninja said...

okay, that wasabi comment was just bloody gross but I totally tell you my pants and hoodies and well heavy too.
here's to your health with a nutella chaser. glub.

cheers to you too, jen.

jane said...

ok now i can´t get the wasabi image out of my head... thanks for the laugh! have a great trip!

Susie Lubell said...

sorry everyone. wasabi was the only thing I could think of...

DR said...

Every now and then, when I have time or when my my mommy mojo is almost gone i read your blog, especially the older ones. I just read your toddler remorse and Ikea part 1 and 2.

You are such a great writer. I love your stories! One day when I have a permanent home and job (July 2011) then I will buy your artwork...

have a great holiday!

Aris said...

you rock!!! That is my kind of math and congrats on probably the first blog post ever about bowel movements and phlegm(is that how you spell it?)
I love coming here!!!!!!

aimee said...

good lord, i'm far behind on my bloggy reading. i can actually see on the bottle the doctor's orders for a nutella chaser. i hope it worked and that you're back to your fabulous self by now.

p.s. aris, you spelled phlegm perfectly!

Desert Savta said...

Have you mama make you some good old fashioned chicken soup to make you healthy. We need to healthy and there with all of us next week in Santa Fe. Love from all the snow in New York.

Bella Sinclair said...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! OMG, girlfriend, you are all I need to work off those extra pounds. Laughing burns calories majorly, right? Of course it does. That would justify yet another nutella chaser right there.

I hope you had a great Hanukkah. Safe travels to Santa Fe. I hope you feel better and have gobs of fun with the family. Happy new year to you!