Monday, July 20, 2009

Seventeen

I mentioned that over the weekend my friend and I saw the movie Away We Go, which, if you haven't seen it, is worth the $10.50 plus the price of popcorn. There's a scene where two sisters, one who is pregnant, are sitting in a giant bathtub (in a bathtub showroom) talking about their parents who died when they were in their early twenties. And the younger sister makes a comment about the pregnant sister "bringing them back" in a way, referring to this yet unborn baby girl. The next day on our hike my friend asked me if I think about my dad very often. Every day. That's the deal. Your parents die when you're of a certain age and you think about them every day. Every single day. And especially today - the day he died seventeen years ago. And it occurred to me that I've been living without him almost as long as I lived with him.

It's true what they said about "bringing them back". My son looks just like my dad and he knows it too. You ask him who's eyes he has and he'll tell you my grandpa's. And so he feels connected to the grandpa that he'll never know and we feel reconnected even as the days and years continue to pass.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely beautiful tribute to Dad, Susie. I'm soooooo proud of you and I know that Dad would be even more so if he could see you now. What an extraordinary woman you've become. I'm sure your dad knows this and he lives on by our talking about him all the time and in your son's eyes.

Anonymous said...

i love reading your blog...
funny how i found it...i have a 5yr old and a 2yr old..so, everything you say is hilarious and poignant to me. sometimes it seems that there are little parallels in my life, and last week, i finally broke down, after many years, about the loss of my dad...sort of strange to open your blog and read that you have a similar experience. will you write a bit about your dad?

Susie Lubell said...

thanks so much for this little note. I don't often write about my dad. There's one other post from last year on the grandpa label. just click on that to see it. but if you ever want to swap stories, send an email my way. xo