Thursday, April 22, 2010

Yes, I'm the artist

Show

The day before the show on Tuesday I read my friend Laamie's blog post on art shows that set the tone for my preparations. Which were minimal.

I did not print a ridiculous amount of inventory.
I did not bring all kinds of crazy useless shit.
I did not lug more than a big box and two grids.
I did not MacGuyver anything.
I did not spend a ton of money on a display.

Here's what I did do.

I saved up orders for about a week and brought those prints with me to sell so that if I didn't sell them, I could just mail them the next day. And then I brought a bunch of smaller things I had on hand anyway. I also bought those little mini-easels from IKEA that are so useful for display and cost $2 each. Nice. I borrowed my friend Melissa's grids and they were easy and sturdy and perfect. You could see my display from across the room.

Mainly I didn't kill myself preparing for this thing. So when I sold a few items I was thrilled. And when I gave out all my cards (~50) I was overjoyed. I was talking to people the whole time. Never a slow period. Lots of connections. And the lady next to me, who I incidentally met at my hair stylist the week before, bought me a giant falafel. Most importantly, I felt great. Especially when asked, are you the artist?  I felt like I could do these little gigs in the community without a lot of stress and get my name and work out there. And did I mention that the whole thing was in Hebrew? Hundreds of Israelis showed up to celebrate and I charmed every one of them with my accented misuse of their mother tongue.

12 comments:

Everything's Rosie said...

tov!

Dana said...

WOW! Congratulations! You deserve to be appreciated, your work is beautiful.I think this is the secret: to enjoy yourself and the success will come very naturally. (Sorry for my English, I'm not an English speaker).

Kolleen said...

beautiful display!!!!

thank you for sharing the photo with us.....

and

YES.
YOU.
ARE.
THE.
ARTIST!!!!

happy friday
love and hugs,
xoxo
k

aimee said...

YAY ARTIST YOU! a successful show! i knew it would be. i'm so glad you resisted the impulse to print frantically the night before. that can be a soul and attitude killer for the day of the show.

your display looks fabulous and so do you!

Unknown said...

congrats on another show! that's awesome!
your booth looked great! i love that you were wearing that cool necklace too...it really looks pretty on you!
thanks for the nod in my direction too...although, i'm sure that you're giving me too much credit...

what you are doing is really a lot of work, no matter how you break it down. i'm impressed with the way you make everything seem so easy....

Juliette Crane said...

so glad you had a fabulous time at the art show. your exhibition table looks lovely. so colorful :) congratulations! i always love seeing your artwork :)

xoxo, juliette

rachel awes said...

it's so wonderful to see your beautiful photo!! you are the artist & THERE YOU ARE! (hug).
it is so helpful to hear your level-headed strategy/approach to such a show & learn from you.
love the multi-layers of what you got out of it. love israel, people, falafel. & love to you. :)

AG Ambroult said...

awww...there you are, in all your glory. It's good to have a face to put with the name (er...blog)
I do the exact opposite of you when preparing for a show. Maybe that's why I have gray hairs invading my head.

kustuck said...

i just purchased a print to give as a bridal shower gift...it was admired by the bride and every one of the guests! no question about it, you *are* the artist!

Dana Barbieri said...

Yay for you! Great display and even better that you didn't stress over the whole thing!

no way said...

Congrats on a successful and stress-free show! Your display looks great, and you are too, too cute! I like the necklace. Here's to more stree-free artistic endeavors in the future!

Bella Sinclair said...

Hello, you beautiful artist, you. So nice to meet you! I love your colorful display. So much happy in one spot.

Thanks for the wonderful tips on doing a successful show. And congratulations to you!