Sunday, April 18, 2010

Blessings

Nest Blessing

I'm getting ready to do a teeny tiny show at our JCC for Israeli Independence Day which is Tuesday. I'm not even really sure what it will be exactly but my guess is that there will be some food and some kids stuff and a bunch of artist booths. So I signed up. It was $35 and I figured, what the heck. I mean, it's four hours, low key, in my town, my husband is babysitting. And I'm borrowing a few giant grid panels from my friend Melissa which makes it so much easier. So I've been printing some inventory and gathering up what all goes into a show. Even a tiny one. It's kind of like camping I guess. You might as well go for a week since it requires the same amount of crap as one night.

And the thing is that I know better. I've done a few tiny shows. And they've all sucked. All of them. One was for the Junior League. Horrible. One was for some synagogue thingy. Four people came. Maybe five. And one was at this chi-chi kids boutique where I got two parking tickets and sold three things and my babysitter ended up making more money than I did. By a lot.

But, I'm kind of new to the school and I figure this requires little effort and I think it might be a good market for me. Plus, the last bunch of events I attended there were full of people. So I turned my Nest ketubah into a home blessing for the occasion and printed a few. This version is different than the blessing I currently have in the shop. It says:

May this home be a place
of happiness and health,
of contentment,
generosity and hope.
A home of creativity
and kindness.
May those who visit
and those who live here
know only blessing and peace.


Make mine a double right?

Another noteworthy development - you can purchase gift certificates to Mishmish Market on ETSY. There's a button with an apricot over there on the right that links you to Paypal. Hopefully it works.

And last, thanks to those of you who got your hackles up for me to kick some mommy ass at preschool. I think I just had an idea for a new kind of violent video game rated M for mature where moms have gnarly catfights at the school yard. Or at a fundraising meeting. The kind where you pick your weapon. Mine would be hot latte to the face. Or french-manicured dagger nails. I'm calling Electronic Arts STAT.

p.s. I finished another suburban monster. stay tuned.

8 comments:

Everything's Rosie said...

Susie, I love the blessing, the words, the print. It's awesome. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Wanna bet that the mom from your last blogpost buys some of your artwork? If not at the show on Tuesday, then at the boutique the following week. She'll love your artwork, be excited that she's already met you, and will never realize how much she pissed you off. If I'm right, you buy me a cup of coffee. If I'm wrong, I'll buy you one. (comment written by a friend who shall remain nameless. I don't want to lose my job.)

Susie Lubell said...

if that happens I may have to erase the post since my website links here. My guess is she won't come near me for fear I might smash her head with a nearby door, as I have been known to do...coffee bet is on.

Melissa said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I hope you make a bundle at the show.

And thanks for the link, btw! :-)

Next time we get together, remind me to keep away from any doors when I'm near you.

rachel awes said...

i can't wait to see your new suburban monster!!!! really truly.
& best abundance to you in the show. yes yes. bless bless. x

aimee said...

it's the perfect venue for it! i think you'll get a great turnout. if you see her coming, hold the suburban monster out at arm's length.

laamsha said...

your blessing is really sweet. i've always wondered how i would express my vision of a perfect home....
and i know that you'll do well at the sale. your work is beautiful!

i'm posting a few pics on my blog to share a recent 'sale/show' story with you...
you'll know you're seeing pictures of show that i was at when you see.......
yup....the gutted building with plastic on the windows. yeah. that's the one. the one that would be clearly marked, but is just a construction site...uh huh...
it worked out alright. we got mobbed by college aged 'bloggers' and had a few free drinks...
possibly even covered the parking fees...
yup.

AG Ambroult said...

gift certificates is a great idea. Maybe I'll do that, too. I've done a couple of waste-of-my-time shows myself. It's the lugging that is the real kicker. Lugging tables and large display items up stairs and through narrow hallways. Oh, and now it's show season. joy. (and--JOY!)