Friday, January 15, 2010

He is especially interested in electricity

Plugs

Last night I finally sat down to do my son's kindergarten application. We decided to apply to the Jewish Day School in our neighborhood after we took a tour and the woman assured us there is plenty of financial aid. We never planned to send our son to private school but have you heard about California lately? How we have the lowest debt rating of any state in the country? And the worst education? I think we even beat out Mississippi for last place. Our district has a few great schools actually but ours is not one of them. So we're also applying to a great "choice program" (within our district) which has a lottery admission system. I'm a public school girl myself, straight through graduate school and we always said we'd go that route for our kids. But then it's time to sign up and it's actually your kid and not some hypothetical kid and well you kind of want him or her to have a music and arts education and opportunities to learn, I don't know, science.

But we're only applying to this one private school. I considered the Waldorf school in our area after I went there and just about died when I saw their felting studio. I was ready to repeat kindergarten myself. But then I saw their application and the question asking about my birth experience and I was like, great actually but that's none of your effing business. 

This post had a point (Aimee - you should make that a magnet). Right. So I was filling out the application and had to answer some questions about my son - specifically his academic, social and emotional strengths. Here's what I came up with for the first part:

Our son is a very curious, energetic and imaginative little boy. He loves words and was a conversationalist, even on the phone, from an early age. He has an excellent memory and understands concepts like process of elimination and patterning and he asks a lot of annoying questions that I can't answer because I apparently don't know anything is very interested to know how everything works. He is especially obsessed with interested in electricity. But not in a Unibomber kind of way. 

I like to call his latest installation "Plugged In." He found a power strip and plugged it into itself (thus preventing him from plugging it into the wall and blowing himself up). He then went around the house finding every small appliance connecting it to the power strip. And he found a splitter too so he could add more plugs. I'm freezing my ass off as we speak because my heater is part of his creation.

The last part of the questionnaire, in response to "what do you hope your child will get out of our program" or something like that ended with: We hope that our son continues to develop the kind of self-confidence he’ll need to celebrate his quirky wonderful self every day of his life.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

His father is an engineer....and has clearly electrified himself on more than one occasion...

Susie Lubell said...

when his father's hair was super "big" back in the day, that was especially true! And he worked at the Israel Electric Company during college! It's all making sense now...

susie bet said...

two things...

first, can you please confirm that when he worked at the electric company there was an electric car he got to drive around in? i remember seeing it but nathan doesn't believe me.

second, gili's kinder application said something like 'love of learning' yadda yadda yadda 'and not becoming a snob.' private school here we come!

Susie Lubell said...

I don't recall an electric car but I will confirm. I remember him mostly sitting in a tower doing his homework and falling asleep.

aimee said...

'this post has a point' is definitely magnet worthy, and i think i'll make a billboard out of the last paragraph to plaster all over the house!

no way said...

We just finished kindergarten testing/applications here as well, and are waiting to hear back on the results. The birthing question on the Waldorf application? Yikes. Good luck on your application process-who would have thought so much thought would go into kindergarten? (Or preschool, for that matter.)

jane said...

love it! how can they not take him? good luck!

Anonymous said...

Love those edited comments - too funny. ANd you're right, Aimee needs to make a magnet with that saying! Ooh, actually 2 sayings - I see she wants to magnetize "this post has a point" whilst I favor "why yesk that is a good question and it's none of your f***in business" ROFL!

Lori said...

"this post has a point" "tmi? too bad, my blog" are favs of mine. What a funny post- your son sounds like a trip. He is brilliant! Wishing you the best with getting him in the school you want.