Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Corner View - Holiday

Hannukah

The holidays seem like a hundred years ago now. We celebrated each night of Hanukkah with different friends. The kids lit candles, opened gifts, spun the dreidle, sang songs. Now that they're older we're really enjoying the holiday. Although I think I may have to re-evaluate my gifting strategy for next year and reverse the one present per night policy. My son would wake up every morning and pester me about his gift the entire day. Can he have a hint? First letter? How big? That got old. But it's hard to compete with Christmas. Not that it's a competition. But Christmas never backs off. The commercial part of it anyway. It's always bigger than life. Even during a recession. This year I finally got questions like, why can't we have lights on our house like everyone else? And so it begins. We're not like everyone else. We make our own light. And our own chanukkiah (that's what we call a menorah)! The idea for the rocks covered in tissue paper came from Aimee. By the eighth night it felt like an inferno. And for Christmas we did like all good Jews. We went to the movies while my mom babysat.

To see how holidays were spent around the world, visit Jane and take the tour.

6 comments:

aimee said...

that is the niftiest chanukkiah ever!

which movie did you see?

Conny said...

I really like the photos of your holiday celebrations. It's good to have Corner Viewing friends back from holiday. Cheers ~ Conny

Lori said...

I love your photos. I have missed you! I've been out of the blog loop lately. Going to see what I have missed...

Renee said...

The kids will all want something all the time. Everything becomes commercialized.

When the kids were small it did have components of Jesus being born for them with the nativity and that has long been thrown out the window. Midnight mass was still something, so there is still some little things. But yes, Christmas is non stop about buying all the time.

xoxo

Jodi said...

Great work on the chanukkiah! Funny about the movie. That and Chinese, eh?! Happy New Year!

pixie said...

I love it! Such beautiful light and those little faces over them glowing...
I hear and hope that families are finding a way to reduce the consumption and focus on the gratitude and giving part. Argh! "The buying part!" Feels so empty. I'm so wrapping rocks today.