Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Bedbugs and other visitors

Thanksgiving Leaves

Thanksgiving Leaves II

My daughter has been coming into our room every night since she could walk basically. I had set up a little blanket for her on the floor by my bed a while back so she could come in and not wake me up. But now that it's winter we use that blanket also so if I don't remember to set out another blanket then she comes in wanting a blanket or wanting in our bed. Either way she wakes me up. Every night. But thanks to what I can only imagine is a bed bug infestation in her sleeping bag, I may have broken her of this habit. Here's how it went down.

My brother came to stay with us for two nights around Thanksgiving and ended up sleeping in her bed, the lower bunk, since my mom was in the Murphy. So both kids slept in their sleeping bags on our floor. My daughter woke up the next morning covered in bites. Little ones. Dozens of them. Poor girl. My son got a few too so we thought either it was from putting them in the yardage bin while raking the leaves on Thanksgiving - an annual tradition - or the bugs came home with us from our last camping trip and have been living in the sleeping bags in our attic. Or there are just bugs in our attic and now, via the sleeping bags, they are living among us. The next night night she slept on our floor and we had our spare duvet down there for her. She got more bites. That duvet had been in the attic too. And it had also been camping. So we've now washed everything and the carpet cleaners are coming tomorrow morning to hopefully scrub away anything else lurking in the carpets. But she's convinced that sleeping on the carpet gives her bites so as long as we can keep her out of our bed, she only has one place to go and that's her own bed. Which hopefully is not infested too because that would totally ruin my plan. And we'd probably have to burn down the house.

6 comments:

nacherluver said...

Gulp! Yikes!
and
Egads!!!
I certainly hope it's not bedbugs that has landed in your home. I have read they are fierce and nearly impossible to rid of.
Maybe they're friendly little love bugs biting your dear ones with love bites to coax them back in their beds so you can get your much needed rest.
I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

:o)

aimee said...

thank heavens for bedbugs! you might actually get a full night of sleep from here on out! i've been scratching through this whole post... i'm not kidding. the power of suggestion is strong!

Everything's Rosie said...

Wurnamernit! Was that the white comforter you gave me Wed. and Thurs. nites? I'm now scratching like Aimee.

Lori said...

Aww. thanks for giving me a reason to like bed bugs. There is a gift in everything, right? Saying prayers you don't have to burn down the house. Because that would suck.

Faith said...

Yikes! I hope it is not bedbugs, but I totally understand the feeling of going to extreme measures to get the little ones to sleep in their own bed. My daughter still comes into our room too, we have her old crib mattress set up on our floor so that she can just sleep there when she comes in.
Here in NYC right now there is a bedbug infestation going around, and I am living in fear of getting them, from what I hear they are very hard o get ride of! I hope that you just have some random camping bugs!

AG Ambroult said...

oh shit. that's not good. reminds me of when my girls (AND I) got lice. good times spent doing laundry and vacuuming for days on end...
i hope your infestation goes away soon.