Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Abundance

Abundance ketubah

The thing I love most about my work is my interaction with clients. Even by email or phone. But especially when it's someone local who comes over to the studio for a consult. Such was the case a few weeks ago when a lovely couple came over to discuss what they wanted in a ketubah. They weren't sure if they would just choose one of the ones from the portfolio or they wanted something of their own design. We talked about ideas and themes and in the end they decided to trust me to create the imagery surrounding the elements of their partnership they hold most sacred. Really? It blows me away every time.

And, after having made a handful of these, I finally don't feel like I'm going to barf the minute the clients leave the house. Let's hear it for confidence! that fickle bitch... So this is their ketubah. Most prominent are the pomegranate trees bursting with fruit. Apropos pomegranates (fertility symbol) the bride works at the hospital where I delivered both my kids and she's doing some fund-raising for my midwife's clinic so we had a short conversation about having babies. And then her fiance fell out of his chair and died. Just kidding.

They got engaged at the Western Wall in Jerusalem so we decided to include some of that imagery. The images on the bottom signify their love of cooking and their origins in wine country. And the shabbat evening table they intend to create with their family every week. The scales were a must for the groom. He's a lawyer and I guess balance is something they're working on as a couple.

It was interesting for me to watch them discuss what they wanted and diplomatically negotiate the elements to include. I have a good feeling about these two...

12 comments:

l said...

wow. when you're not making me laugh until i pee my pants, you're making me well up with happy tears...
so incredibly sweet.
...and a beautiful painting too..
i xo you.

laamie said...

btw..that was love from laamie..

pixie said...

This is freaking amazing!! I love the detail and the lengths you go to to create a symbol for these folks' lives together. Their whole LIVES, man!

Everything's Rosie said...

They get more and more beautiful as you create something original for some of these clients. I love to read their stories and how you integrate them in your art.

Anonymous said...

..furiously scouring jdate so that I can have one too...

Shannon said...

so super fabulous!! just love visiting you here. xoxo

rachel awes said...

what a holy document...
a heart revealed
IS beauty...
rolling hills
& artful water.
powerful, dear friend!
xox

aimee said...

it's amazing, susie. WOW. holy indeed.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. What a wonderful representation of a life that this couple is beginning together. Thanks for sharing.

AG Ambroult said...

That is gorgeous Susie. Love the water imagery.
I can totally relate about the whole custom work thing. We've discussed this before, haven't we? I even just this week posted something about how i am getting less scared of my custom orders...

Ida in QC said...

You are so amazing... I think your ketubahs get more and more beautiful. And I don't know how you make them so symbolic and personal and unique - every single one of them. Don't you ever run out of ideas? I'm just starting up a new business and have been sitting for hours trying to make a logo. I wish I had a tiny, microscopic part of your talent!!

Susie Lubell said...

thanks so much everyone. i really appreciate all of your comments. feeling the love.