Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Buried

My daughter's had a runny nose the last few days and her school asked me to keep her and her nose home tomorrow because I think they're tired of wiping it every three minutes. I know I am. So that means I'm home from work for the day and I could not be happier. My home has reached a state of disarray that it has not seen since we moved in here and I just can't get on top of it. I apologize for ranting about my domestic chaos for the last several posts but it's really all consuming. I have basically ceased to function normally. Now I take out jars of jam and just leave them out. With the lid off. Sometimes even the milk doesn't make it back into the fridge. My clothes are all over the place. There's a giant pile of shoes and socks at the front door. Toys are everywhere. And there's laundry in every available position. Washer. Dryer. On the top of the dryer waiting to be dried. On the futon in the guest room. In the laundry basket. And in the hampers. And the worse it gets, the less I am able to deal with it.

WHAT THE FUCK PEOPLE!! WTFP!!

Now I am starting to understand those people who are just buried under the junk in their homes. Because once you pass a certain point you almost need an Oprah style intervention. You just lose all motivation. Like right now, for instance. I could be straightening. But I'd sooner put a pen in my eye. And I have a housekeeper who comes once a week so I have no right to complain. But she ends up putting whatever's out back in bins willy nilly and now we are going on three weeks of random stuff going into random places which is why I still can't find my soft scarf (see previous post)! And in all honesty it's not even bad by normal standards but I am a very tidy Virgo and believer that everything has its home which brings me to another issue of worldwide proportion that's been on my mind and that is what to do with all this stuff that I want to get rid of because no one's home should be a landfill. I am dying to get rid of a ton of our things - a ton of toys, appliances, just crap we don't need. Little things. Hangers, for the love of ginger! Who the hell needs this many hangers! But how to do it? You can't just throw shit away anymore. You have to give it to Good Will so it can be thrown away in Africa.

But back to my daughter, who as it turns out needs to see Dr. Murray again since my husband looked in her ears with a microscope and saw one ear looking shiny and happy with its tube in place and the other ear looking like Chernobyl. So I'm more than happy to take a sick day with my daughter, for her sake and mine. And while she's playing dress up in her room, I'll be casually putting away her clean clothes. And while she's playing top chef in her kitchen, I'll be cleaning mine. And next week, when I'm back to being a Work From Home Artist, I'm sure I'll have something else to write about. If not, I will make something up for your entertainment.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really enjoying reading your blog and very glad that i found you. I will be adding blog roll and plan on putting you on my list!

Mama PhD said...

The best - you. are. the. best.

Renee said...

And entertain you do. I have found such a fun spirit here at Inner Toddler.

Ear infections are painful and I hope your sweet girl feels better soon.

Love Renee xoxo

Tina B said...

"... You have to give it to Good Will so it can be thrown away in Africa.... " You have such a way with words! Thanks for the laugh this morning - I nearly spat my coffee everywhere... I love a good rant : )

aimee said...

i think you need to stay at work - your posts are so wonderfully explosive when your domestic life is in disarray!

Lori said...

I should upload and attach a picture of where I am sitting right now. omfg. I love that you said for the love of ginger- I'm stealing that one!

painted fish studio said...

man, it is so easy to slide into a garbage-house situation... i'm usually really anal about putting my shit away and vacuuming up the layers of dog hair, but if you hit that sweet spot where you just stop caring, it can go downhill fast, in my experience! hope the little one gets better. and you need a massage or a lunch out or something!

Palmer and Co said...

Oh! You are fabulous! I just know it! LOVE your writing and hilarious sense of humor! I'll be back for sure!

...don't get me started on the shit people collect/save/keep/endure... I say, donate and don't look back!

jacqueline said...

I really adore your writing and sense of humor! My room is just as messy as yours....and my little creative space ~ don't think i wanna go there. lol Thanks for making my day seem a little brighter. Have a lovely merry happy day and i hope your little one get well soon! Love to you!

Erin said...

i'm so glad i am not the only one who makes things worse when they get to this point. if my house is clean and in order it will stay that way until something disrupts our schedule/we have people over/anything changes. and then, it's like a downhill slide and next thing i know i'm behind on everything. i feel ya, right now!!!

Bella Sinclair said...

Hahahahaha! Oh goodness, you should SEE the state of my house! Guaranteed to make you feel better, or your money back.

Hope your little one is less drippy and feeling better now. And I hope things have found their proper places.

And thank you for the wonderfully sweet message. xoxo

Anonymous said...

yeah. i agree with it all...all of it.
i'm actually writing to you, sitting on a tiny plastic kid chair because...if i go and look for a real chair, i'll get lost in the world of stuff that needs doing and never write to tell you how amazing you are. really. i love your blog and admire you. you do an incredible job of being present with your kids and your art and your spiritual life...
crap has a life of it's own, so do the messes of two little kids ( i have a 5 and a 2 )...the energy to deal comes when it comes....and it does come.....but the other stuff is rightly a priority. you're doing it all perfectly, if you ask me.

likeschocolate said...

Great story! I totally understand. I spent hours this morning moving things in the house from one location to another in order to get some kind of peace in our home. While my house is generally tidy, I feel like the stuff is over taking the house. Where does it all come from. It seems to breed. However, I can't imagine what it would be like to have a full time job outside the house. My hats off to you. I hope your daughter feels better soon.

Susie Lubell said...

what can I say friends, misery loves company. And y'all are good company...

AG Ambroult said...

I say purge! thow it all out. I recently did that, and I am very pleased with the newfound corners of my home.

Kate England | Marmalade Moon said...

What a great story, you really are a great writer!

On a serious note though, I'd say YES to simply tossing junk out without finding it a new home, if that's what it takes to find peace in your own home!

Renee said...

Susie your Mom is so sweet to ask how I am.

Tell her 'the shits' but I totally appreciate her asking.

My back is broken today and have been nauseated but hoping that will all be gone by tomorrow.

I see that Hannukah sale. Can't wait to see.

How are you and your Mom?

Love Renee xoxo

Shari Sherman said...

Hi, I just stumbled onto your blog from Kelly Rae's...You are hilarious. I'm a work from home, stay at home, mom, artist, and I do transcription from home as well. Believe me, you are not the only one with laundry everywhere. If we can laugh at it, then we still have hope.