Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I like your bra mommy

Yes, my son stood up on his chair at Starbucks today and said very loudly, "Mommy, I like your bra. And I like your boobies."

After the initial shock, I had the good sense to simply say thank you (if I'd have told him not to say that he would have said it ten more times) at which point he went on to tell me that he liked my new red bag and my cell phone and my earrings. And that was the end of his Starbucks proclamations.

Where does he get this shit? I mean, really, I like your boobies? I guess that's a nice thing to say. A little weird though, no? And somewhat inappropriate coming from my son. And at Starbucks. And frankly they're not even that great anymore. Pretty droopy in fact after all that nursing. Although some of the Starbucks patrons would disagree. I got a few winks. Just kidding.

The other day, while I was taking his clothes off for his bath, he was completely naked and then did a little pantomime like he was trying to scratch his back so I asked what he was doing and he said he was taking off his bra. And truthfully, it didn't even phase me. Naturally he would take his bra off before getting in the tub.

So now I'm back to the question of whether or not my son should see me naked. He gets the concept of privacy so I could definitely go that route. Today he walked into the bathroom while I was on the toilet and when I got up he pointed to my "netherlands" and asked what's that. I just pulled up my pants and ignored him. I can just imagine our next Starbucks visit...

Mommy, I like your vagina!

No thanks.

1 comments:

Julie said...

Hilarious!!! Kids love to say the most amazing things at the oddest times. They certainly give us something to talk about.

The other day I got out of the shower and realized I left my towel in the girls' bedroom. I heard my 2.5 year old walking by outside the bathroom and asked her to get the towel from the bedroom for me. She brought it to me and as she handed it to me, looked up and said, "Those are nice boobies you have there mommy."

Now I know her definition of nice boobies and mine are very different. Big and droopy means a good source of milk to her - and there's nothing more beautiful than that.

As for the nudity thing. Well, everyone has to do what they feel comfortable with - but I really don't think there's any right and wrong here. I think kids who grow up seeing their parents nude come to just not think very much about the human body at all. But, everyone has their own comfort level.

It certainly won't stop embarrassing public statements. Kids will say whatever pops into their heads and will sometimes call up memories or thoughts of your body parts long after the last time they got a glimpse of them.

When my oldest was about 3.5, at least a year after the last time she'd seen my husband nude, she announced in the middle of a quiet bookstore, "Daddy doesn't pee the way we do! That's because he has a penis."

And my little one, is quite fond of making the following combined statement and questions to pretty much everyone she meets, "I have a heiney and a vagina. Do you have a heiney and a vagina?"

I've decided the best thing to do is always just wear colors that look nice with skin that's blushed a pretty shade of red.