Monday, January 26, 2009

Mishmish in Action

So I've been a little MIA. Admittedly I'm not the most consistent blogger but lately it's been even worse. In my defense I've been pulling late nights trying to get my new website in order for a soft launch to friends and family in the coming weeks. You see, I've been painting on Thursdays. Every Thursday after work I go to my friends' house and paint in their living room while they're still at work or badminton practice respectively. Yes, I have a friend who plays badminton. I've been wanting to paint for ages and never have the time so finally I decided that rain or shine, muse or not, I will be creative on Thursdays. So far it's been working.


And I was sick of painting the portraits that I've been doing for the last ten years, so I started doing animals and landscapes and a number of other goodies. Anyway, here's a little preview. This is one of my favorite ones. It's a naming certificate for a new (or not so new) baby. I was commissioned to do one for a friend of mine who wanted to give it as a gift for a bris (circumcision). The recipient now wants two more for her older boys so more designs to follow. This is a version I made for girls called You Are My Sunshine.


More of my work is on my new website: www.mishmishstudio.com.

For a while now I've been admiring some artists that I found on the web who sell their prints and originals through Etsy. They seem to really be making a go of it which has lead me to be believe that I might also make a go of it since it IS the year of the Ox and I am, after all, an Ox. Might as well live my dreams. Although these artists don't appear to have kids which means they have 36 extra hours a day to paint and run a business. I feel like with 70,000 people laid off today, maybe the US will revert to a crafts and trade economy. We'll start bartering chickens. I'm going to build my coop right now so I'm ready. Oxen are known to be industrious. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are hilarious. How about 6 cans of soup for a picture? :) I love the work you're doing! I looked through on Etsy- it's wonderful and creative! -Linda

Susie Lubell said...

My work is worth at least nine cans of soup. And a hunk of cheese.

Anonymous said...

How's about ALL MY LOVE for a picture? balgamalga

Jessica said...

I'm a bit behind on my blog reading, but let me say YIPPEE!! You go girl. I love that you are allotting some time for just you and your art. It shows in your beautiful work and it will leave you feeling well rewarded on so many levels. And besides, you're worth it!