Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thankful

Even though Thanksgiving is last week's news I wanted to update everyone on the "what I'm thankful for" placemat that my son created in preschool this year. You may remember, though I doubt it, that last year he wrote on his placemat that he's thankful for his black car. The other kids wrote that they were thankful for their mommies and daddies and other, slightly more meaningful entities. Not wanting to relive the humiliation I coached him all year so that when Thanksgiving came around again he would write on his placemat (and these things are laminated so there's no making any changes) that he was mostly thankful for mommy and aba. Well I didn't actually coach him—but I clearly should have. This year he wrote that he was thankful for…drum roll…chicken nuggets and dumplings. What am I doing wrong here? At least I feed him, albeit processed food.

But then, it all came full circle when, on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, we were driving home from a little lake by our house. We stopped at a red light and a drunk woman in a Prius plowed into our car at 30 miles an hour. We're all fine, though somewhat shaken by the experience. Apparently my son had it right all along. You bet your ass I'm thankful for my black car too. The Prius was totaled and our Passat wagon had a measly dent in the back. Thanksgiving took on new meaning this year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh Susie! That is terrible!! I'm so glad that you guys are all ok. What horrible news--- and drunk?? In a Prius?? good grief. Wow- I'm just processing your news. I'm so glad everything is fine (except for the shaken up part)

As to your other topic, that is too funny. My daughter draws pictures of her and I and my nose is almost 1/2 of my face. I wonder what this means and why? Daddy doesn't get a huge schnozz and his nose is actually much bigger than mine. But no- there I am with a nice round head and a nose the size of Texas. We should have a re-programming playdate where we just have the two of them sit while we say "you're thankful for your family and mommy's nose is cute and small" over and over.-- Linda

Susie Lubell said...

we'll hypnotize them with shiny objects too. And as long as we're reprogramming, let's make it clear that wearing a jacket outside during winter is not up for negotiation. Shoot, I'll start a list and we can just knock things off one by one.

Thanks for writing Linda.
sl